Welcome to White Postcards, we are Canadians currently living in the picturesque town of Brockville, Ontario, located within the world-renowned Thousand Islands region. Like many, we have taken the traditional route, got married, bought a house, raised great independent children; we have worked hard and are saving for retirement.
We have always enjoyed travelling, weekend trips to Cape Cod, our Honeymoon trip to Spain and Portugal, annual March break trips to Florida and California with the kids, but we never strayed too far from home. In fact, our children have been to Europe as many times as we have.
A couple of years ago we became empty nesters and celebrated with a three-week adventure to Italy, France, Holland and Belgium. That’s when the travel bug hit us. “Wait a minute!” we don’t want to wait till retirement to have great travel adventures.
So here we go, September 2016, we will embark on a one-year journey around the globe. That’s
890 730 580 431 315 60 days from now, with so much research (where to go? what to see?), planning (budget, itinerary) and decisions (sell or not sell the house?) to ponder, we decided to document our process. Making this happen here on the worldwide web will become part of our RTW story. In the meantime sharing our mini travel adventures, photographs and whatever else we find relevant we will yak about.
Eventually, we hope this will be the place where our family, friends and new friends can stop by to see what trouble we are up to.
That’s the plan so stick around and look for our postcards!
Random Things About Us in No Particular Order
We love to explore charming old cafés and pubs, make spur of the moment decisions at four-way stops, colourful art and photography, hiking and trekking (we are
aspiring Adirondack 46ers, countryside fresh air over big city smog, sunrises and sunsets, up-cycling and recycling, and proud of being frugal.
Get to Know Ginette
- Hates being a passenger in a car, in fact, she freak out quite a bit and can be a real pain for the driver
- Is a big sister, unlike her little sister she doesn’t have witty writing skills
- Loves to sweep, tidy and organize just about anything
- Takes for granted hubbies cooking
- Enjoys white wine
- Likes to sleep in and needs her morning coffee
- Learning Spanish after having learned some basic Italian, and now confusing the two regularly
- Her style; Converse, flip-flops and Cowboy boots (doesn’t have any yet, but it’s on her wishlist)
- Her favourite season — Autumn; the rich golden, orange and red colors, cozy knitted sweaters, plaid blankets, smell of pine needles and snuggling fireside
- Music; easy listening 80’s, elevator music and deep masculine voices
Get to Know Gordon
- Enjoys driving country roads, the curvier the better for Ginette’s pleasure
- Thinks he’s witty and funny
- Gordon can never find his stuff, his stuff is too well-organized by Ginette
- Loves to cook, a skill he’s developed because of Ginette’s lack of cooking skills
- Fine red wine enthusiast
- Likes getting up early to make Ginette’s coffee
- Understands more French than he will ever admit
- His style; Hiking shoes and smelly gym sneakers
- His favourite season — Summer; cool greens and blues, hot sun and cool dips, billowy clouds, smell of fresh garden herbs and holding hands on breezy summer nights by the river
- Music; Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Rock and Roll, Blues, Jazz to Zydeco
Thanks for stopping by.
Ginette and Gordon White